WHAT IS KUK SOOL WON
Kuk Sool Won™ is a systematic study of all of the traditional fighting arts, which together comprise the martial arts history of Korea. As such, Kuk Sool Won™ is extremely well organized and seeks to integrate and explore all aspects of the traditional Korean martial arts.
As a martial arts system, Kuk Sool Won™ covers the entire spectrum of established Asian fighting arts and body conditioning techniques, as well as mental development and traditional weapons training. The following list includes some, but by no means all, of the elements of Kuk Sool Won™.
Quite simply, a Comprehensive Martial Arts System.
wrist, finger striking and specialized hand training techniques.
• Closed and open hand striking methods: including palm, fist,
• Pressure point striking.
• Striking with arm and shoulder.
• Blocking and parrying.
• Fundamental kicks.
• Spinning kicks.
• Jumping kicks.
• Combination kicks.
• Double leg kicks.
• Pressure point kicking.
• Specialty kicking.
THROWING & GRAPPLING
• Body throws.
• Projection throws.
• Leg throws.
• Pressure point grappling.
• Grappling defense.
• Wrestling techniques.
• Ground fighting.
• Restraining methods.
• Joint breaking techniques.
• Combination joint locking.
• Control and redirection techniques.
• Arresting and pain-compliance techniques.
FALLING TECHNIQUES & ACROBATICS
• Body conditioning and agility techniques.
• Body protection techniques.
• Acrobatics for defense and offense.
• Overall stretching and flexibility training.
• Cardiovascular conditioning.
• Muscle toning.
• Ligament and tendon strengthening.
• Joint flexibility and bone conditioning.
Techniques based on the movements and/or characteristics of certain “martial” animals such as:
• Praying Mantis.
TRADITIONAL KOREAN WEAPONS
• Sword: short & long, single or double, straight or inverted.
• Staff: short, middle & long, single or double.
• Jointed Staff (flail): double or triple.
• Bow & Arrow.
24 different traditional Korean Royal Court weapons are in the curriculum of Kuk Sool Won™ plus Buddhist and Tribal weaponry.
MARTIAL ART HEALING METHODS
• Internal energy systems.
• Herbal medicine.
MEDITATION & BREATHING TECHNIQUES
• Various breath control techniques.
• Meditation and breathing postures.
• Concentration techniques.
As you can see, Kuk Sool Won™ covers an extensive variety of martial art techniques. But it is not merely concerned with methods of attack and defense, Kuk Sool Won™ also includes the study of healing techniques and the development of internal power, in addition to the physical training. Mental development is of equal importance in Kuk Sool Won™ and helps to instill self-confidence and self-discipline, a calm self-assurance, and the psychological and spiritual values which are traditionally associated with the character of a martial artist.
Although Kuk Sool Won™ as it is practiced today is relatively new, its roots stretch far and deep to the very beginnings of the Korean people. This early history and the ancient traditions upon which this art is founded should be viewed as important as the physical techniques themselves, for it is only from the understanding and appreciation of these classical roots that one is able to grow as a student of the martial arts.